Skip to main content

Veterans Affairs

VA School Certifying Official:
Mayette Fonoimoana
Registrar’s Office
Lorenzo Snow Building
(808) 675-3746

Welcome to Brigham Young University–Hawaii. We look forward to assisting students in using Veterans education benefits.

Veterans’ Education Benefits (VEB) are funds made available through the US Department of Veteran Affairs for students who are:
· Actively serving in the Military
· Serving in the Reserves or National Guard
· Dependents of Veterans
· Dependents of disabled or deceased Veterans

There are different chapters of Veterans Education Benefits. For more information, please visit the GI Bill website or call the VA Western Regional Processing Office at 1-888-GI-BILL- (888) 442-4551

NOTE: Veterans Educational Benefit Funds are not affiliated with or controlled by BYUH.

To begin:

1. You must apply and be accepted for admission to BYU Hawaii
2. Recognized as a regular, degree-seeking student
3. Applied for VA education benefits

Once Accepted:

4. Obtain a Certificate of Eligibility
5. Verify and confirm benefits/entitlements

  • Chapter 33 – Post 9.11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill
  • Chapter 35 – Dependents Education Assistance
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserve

6. Register for classes. Meet with your Academic Advisor to complete the course enrollment form, making sure all classes will apply to your major and/or minor. Also, obtain your "mapper" which will reflect the classes/courses needed to obtain your degree.
7. Submit course enrollment form, mapper and any supporting documents to School Certifying Office (Mayette Fonoimoana) at the Registrar’s Office for processing.


Certification Policies:

BYUH will certify your enrollment to the VA for each semester or term that you request. Only classes that meet your major/minor requirements and the Holokai Curriculum can be certified.

Veteran Affairs Contact Information:

(888) 442-4551